The Segovia Cathedral is a Catholic church located in Plaza Mayor, the central square of Segovia. It is the last Gothic cathedral to be built in Spain. Construction of the cathedral started in 1525, under the rule of Charles V. It was designed by the master builder and Gothicist Juan Gil de Hontañón, but completed by his son Rodrigo. The cathedral was consecrated in 1768.
The complex and eye-catching exterior of the cathedral belies its interior – almost spartan in comparison with other major churches we visited in Spain. It’s nice to wander around a hushed and cool place of worship, away from the typical teeming crowds (ahem, Toledo).